Serving children and families with food and love.
That is, and will always remain, our mission at Sun Valley Kitchen + Community Center. It’s what we do day in and day out, and it is what we have continued to do as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic with and for our community.
From March 18th to date, Sun Valley Community Center’s food distribution efforts have had the following impact on the Sun Valley community and surrounding neighborhoods:
- 117,412 POUNDS OF FOOD + TOILETRIES distributed
- 7,267 HOT MEALS provided for children + families
- 4,077 FAMILIES and over 14,269 INDIVIDUALS served
Thanks to generous food, supply + monetary donations from individuals, restaurants, businesses, and food distributors we have been able to expand our bi-weekly No-Cost Grocery Program in partnership with Denver Food Rescue.
We are still offering our food pantry on Wednesdays at 2pm and Saturdays at 11am, but rather than having our community members enter the Kitchen to ‘shop’ for their groceries, our staff + volunteers are pre-bagging groceries to be distributed. We are providing each individual with 5-7 bags of produce, meat, dairy, dry goods, bread, prepared foods, milk, juice, toiletries and hot prepared meals.
In an effort to minimize exposure, we are having community members line up outside of our building, keeping a safe social distance from other participants. Our staff places the pre-bagged groceries and boxes of hot meals outside for each individual, serving one person at a time. There are no requirements to receive food and the bi-weekly distribution is open to anyone in need.
Want to get involved? Here are ways you can support our efforts:
If you or anyone you know would like to support our work during the COVID-19 crisis, all monetary donations will go towards our food distribution efforts. Click here to GIVE TODAY.
We are in need of the following items on a weekly basis for our food distribution. Donations can be dropped off at Sun Valley Kitchen (1260 Decatur Street) on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9am-1pm:
- Bacon / Sausage (Pork + Turkey)
- Half + Half
- Biscuits, Bagels, Muffins
- Orange Juice + other Fruit Juices
- Bananas, Apples, Oranges
- Peanut Butter + Jelly
- Pasta + Jars of Spaghetti Sauce
- Cereal + Oatmeal / Oats
- Canned Fruit, Apple Sauce, Pudding
- Canned Vegetables
- Rice + Beans
- Canned or Boxed Soup
- Boxed Dry Goods (Mac + Cheese, Rice A Roni, etc.)
- Toilet Paper
- Ziploc Bags (Gallon, Quart + Sandwich Sizes)
- Bars of Soap / Hand Soap
- Paper Towels
- Dish Soap + Cleaning Supplies
- Empty Egg Cartons: For packing bulk egg donations into smaller quantities
- Grocery Bags: Paper, plastic and reusable bags for bagging groceries
- Face Masks: We are collecting face masks to share with each of our food distribution participants. If you or anyone you know is making masks that they’d like to donate, please email email@example.com
None of this would be possible without the generosity of our supporters. As COVID-19 continues to impact our world, we are committed to doing our part to keep our community safe, cared for, and fed. Thank you for standing with us to serve children and families in Sun Valley.
We want to thank all of the individuals who have given generously of their time and resources during these unprecedented times. Thank you for donating food, toiletries, egg cartons and grocery bags, and thank you for showing up to bag groceries and prepare hot meals for our neighbors. You have carried us and our community, and we’re deeply humbled by your support.
We would also like to thank the following organizations who have supported our efforts with food + toiletry donations:
- Denver Food Rescue
- Whole Foods
- Waypoint + Liz Ziegler
- Shamrock Foods
- Gastamo Group + Pete Newlin
- Park Burger
- Starbucks + Shelby Jonse
- Jewish Family Service
- Work Options for Women
- Hoja Restaurant
- Pho 89
- Downing House
- Father Joseph Dang
- Church in the City
- Denver Dream Center
- Denver Housing Authority
- Sun Valley Youth Center
- Hope In Our City
- Foreign Form